Media and film studies are two of the most popular courses for students of all nationalities to study in the UK, with the varied practical and theoretical work at both undergraduate and postgraduate level providing a broad range of career paths upon completion.
Many Media and Communications programmes split theoretical and practical work 50/50, with modules consisting of anything from audio manipulation, photo editing and TV and radio production to linguistics, cultural studies and screenwriting. Film Studies deals with theoretical, historical and critical approaches to film and explores the narrative, artistic, cultural, economic, and political implications of cinema.
If you are interested in applying to study a media or film degree in the UK, arrange a free consultation today.
Best media and film universities in the UK
Queen Mary, University of London
- In recent National Student Surveys, film studies at Queen Mary was rated highly in terms of overall student satisfaction (96%) and in terms of the quality of teaching across the programme (96%)
- You will be situated in the heart of London's culturally dynamic East End, within easy reach of the city's many specialist cinema and research venues, including the National Film Theatre, the CineLumiere (at the French Institute), The Institute of Contemporary Arts and the British Film Institute
- Courses to consider: Film Studies and Comparative Literature and Film Studies
University of Southampton
- Film Studies at Southampton is an exceptionally vibrant and friendly department which offers a wide range of outstanding undergraduate and postgraduate programmes taught by world class researchers
- Southampton is a fantastic place to study film with excellent facilities, exciting and flexible programmes and supportive and highly knowledgeable staff
- Courses to consider: Film Studies and Film Studies (with a Year Abroad)
Kings College London
- Media studies at King's College London triumphed in the 2016 QS World University Rankings by Subject, rising to 4th in the UK (from 8th) and 37th in the world
- The Film Studies Department is one of the best places to study film in the UK, and the department receives consistently high rankings in league tables (2nd in 2014, 1st in 2013, 1st in 2012 Guardian tables)
- Courses to consider: Digital Culture and Film Studies
University of Leeds
- Formed in 1988, the School of Media and Communication at the University of Leeds is one of the top departments in the country for the study of communication, media and culture
- The department has a loans service of digital recorders, video cameras, stills cameras and a wide variety of other equipment that students need for the range of project work they do at the School, including production exercises, assessed pieces and dissertation research
- Courses to consider: Digital Media and Communication and Media
Apply to study Media and Film in the UK
Do you want to study film and media in the UK? If so, arrange a free consultation in London or Manchester today.