Idiom: Couch potato
An inactive and usually overweight person who spends a lot of time watching TV. The origin comes from potatoes: unattractive lumps that grow larger while not moving.
Couch potato idiom example
- A: Come on, let’s go to the shops.
- B: No, I don’t feel like it. I’ll just stay here.
- A: Oh come on. You haven’t moved from the sofa all day, you’re becoming a real couch potato.
Couch potato IELTS example
- Question: Do you do anything to stay in shape?
- Answer: Not really. I play football with my friends sometimes, but I prefer to stay in. I’m a bit of a couch potato I suppose.