Scholarships at Newcastle University
|NU Sanctuary Scholarships|
|Scholarship Name||NU Sanctuary Scholarships|
|Scholarship amount||Full tuition fees and living expenses|
|Scholarship Deadline||12 March 2020|
Newcastle University is proud to support equal access to higher education and is pleased to offer Sanctuary scholarships consisting of full tuition fee support and a bursary for living expenses for applicants wishing to study at the University. The scholarships have been designed to enable students from asylum-seeker and refugee backgrounds to progress to higher level study.
1.The following categories of applicants can apply under this scheme:
a. asylum seekers and refugees
2. Applicants must be living in the North East of England (Tyne and Wear, County Durham, Northumberland, Cleveland and North Cumbria) at the time that they apply for consideration under the scheme.*
3. Applicants must have applied for a place on a Newcastle University degree programme. Priority will be given to applicants applying for their first degree.
4. Their predicted grades must meet the entry requirements for the degree concerned.
5. Applicants must meet the English language criteria for their course or have relevant qualifications to indicate their English language competency
Personal circumstances will be taken into account if there is good reason for criterion 4 or 5 not being met.
6. Applicants must be unable to access mainstream funding, for example from Student Finance England or a local authority grant.
These criteria have been discussed and agreed with the Asylum and Migration Justice Forum.
*Applicants who have been granted Humanitarian Protection, Discretionary Leave to Remain as a result of an application for asylum, or the children of a parent in this position, may also be considered.
How to apply
Applications for the Sanctuary Scholarship must be made using our online application form.
Applicants will be required to upload proof of their immigration status and a reference. The reference should be from someone who has known the applicant for a significant period of time and who is aware of their personal circumstances.
Please read the Sanctuary Scholarship Application Guidance notes carefully, before completing the application form.
add to favourites