Agriculture is considered one of the fastest growing subjects at UK universities, with over 20,000 students studying agriculture and its related subjects.
The rise in applicants to study agriculture is due in part because of a push from the industry to lower the average age of the UK farmer, which is currently 59. Younger people are being encouraged to enter the sector, and as a farming nation, universities in the UK can provide the knowledge and skills needed to succeed.
Gaining a degree in Agriculture from a UK university in agriculture is ideal preparation to enter and understand the industry. The course can often be studied alongside subjects such as business and supply chain and logistics, meaning a wider variety of careers to move into upon completion of your degree.
Learn more about the top five universities in the UK (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021) which offer agriculture programmes below and, if you want to learn more, arrange a free consultation with SI-UK London today.
Top Five Agriculture Universities and Courses in the UK
1. University of Reading
The University of Reading is amongst the top 30 universities in the UK and is currently ranked 205th worldwide (QS World University Rankings 2021). A talented, vibrant student community, passionate academics, and excellent facilities will enrich your life experience while studying at the University.
- Course to consider: BSc Agriculture
- What they say: “This course covers everything that impacts production in the supply chain. It prepares you for senior roles in a wide range of farming enterprises.”
2. University of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh offers excellent facilities and varied resources that benefit its 13,000-strong international community of students.
- Course to consider: BSc (Hons) Agricultural Science
- What they say: "his programmes crosses traditional disciplinary boundaries to produce graduates ready to address the challenge of achieving sustainable food security in the 21st century. Students simultaneously engage with the detailed scientific methods required to understand the physical dimensions of sustainable food systems, and the socio-economic theories required to achieve productive policy change across diverse societies."
3. University of Nottingham
The University of Nottingham is a member of the UK's prestigious Russell Group and is ranked in the world's top 100 universities and in the UK top 20 (QS World University Rankings 2021).
- Course to consider: BSc Agriculture
- What they say: “Combining a core programme of crop and animal production with business management and marketing, our course offers considerable flexibility to enable you to focus on your area of interest.”
4. University of Leeds
The University of Leeds is a world top-100 university (QS World University Rankings 2022) and one of the most prestigious universities in the UK. Renowned for the quality of its teaching and research, Leeds welcomes over 38,000 students from 170 countries and one of the widest ranges of degrees in the UK.
- Course to consider: BSc Biological Sciences
- What they say: " Students can choose one of the following four pathways to specialise in after your first year, from molecular medicine, infection and disease, genome biology and disease or plants and agriculture."
5. University of Aberdeen
The University of Aberdeen was founded in 1495 and is the fifth oldest university in the English speaking world. It has a student population of over 15,000 and a large international community of students drawn from 120 different countries.
- Course to consider: BSc Microbiology
- What they say: “Microorganisms are also widely used in the agriculture, food and environment industries, and through our degree programmes you will develop knowledge and understanding of microbiology at the molecular, cellular and systems levels.
Study Agriculture in the UK
If you are interested in learning more about all aspects of agriculture and forestry in the UK, arrange a free consultation with SI-UK London today. Our international consultants can help you receive an offer to study in the UK with expert UCAS application and personal statement advice.