The UK is a popular choice for Indian students looking to study abroad, with UK medical departments, in particular, excelling in international rankings due to excellent facilities, world-class teaching, and state-of-the-art technology. For nursing master's students, studying for an MSN (Master of Science in Nursing) degree in the UK can open up many exciting career opportunities.
The duration of MSc nursing courses generally last for 1-2 years, and if you are thinking of studying nursing in the UK, we have compiled a list of the top five in the UK as per the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023. Learn more below, and if you would like to begin your application, arrange a free consultation with SI-UK India today.
Top Five UK Universities for Nursing Master’s Degree
1. King's College London
King’s College London is the best university in the UK for studying nursing. It is ranked 2nd overall in the world in the QS World University Ranking and 1st in the UK for nursing degrees. It is home to the world’s first nursing institute, the Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery. King's has produced over a dozen Nobel laureates, and its Clinical Nursing MSc programme offers advanced study for currently registered nurses.
The master's course will provide students with digital strategies in healthcare delivered by internationally renowned clinicians. The advanced research of the course will prepare students for various nursing career options and the option to study part-time, empowering students to arrange their studies and work on a schedule.
- Master’s Course: Clinical Nursing MSc
- Entry Requirements: Students must have a Bachelor's degree (Honours/Special) with a score of 63% or 7.7 out of 10 and English language requirements through tests like IELTS or TOEFL.
- International Fee: £29,472 per year (₹30.72 Lakhs)
2. University of Southampton
The University of Southampton was established in 1862 and is ranked 6th in the QS World University Rankings for MSN Nursing. The university is located in the heart of the Southern English city of Southampton, providing various academic opportunities to students. The University is providing a 2-year nursing MSc program to prepare students for a lucrative career.
The university has a welcoming environment with a community of over 10,000 international students from 130 countries, including India. Students can engage in student-run clubs and societies through the Students' Union (SUSU), where they can connect with peers who share their interests and passions. Southampton offers personalised support and access to advanced resources to empower the academic journey.
- Master’s Course: Nursing: Adult (MSc)
- Entry Requirements: Students must have a Bachelor's degree in the related field with a good score of 70% and English language requirements through tests like IELTS or TOEFL.
- International Fee: £27,000 per year (approx) (₹28.14 Lakhs)
3. University of Manchester
A globally reputed centre of education, the University of Manchester’s Faculty of Biology, Medicine, and Health dates back to 1851 and is one of the largest in the country. The university has a two-year nursing master's programme to prepare students to be leading nurse practitioners and researchers. Students take a wide range of learning environments at nearby Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, working and learning alongside clinicians of the highest quality.
In addition, students will study at a top-ranked university in the world, placed 7th in the QS World university rankings and 3rd in the UK for nursing degrees. The commitment to student success is reflected in advanced facilities, dedicated faculty members, and comprehensive support services.
- Master’s Course: MSc Adult Nursing
- Entry Requirements: Students must have an upper second-class honours degree or above in the related field and English language requirements through IELTS tests with a score of 7.0.
- International Fee: £25,000 (₹26.06 Lakhs)
4. University of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh is one of the oldest universities providing education excellence in the nursing domain. Established in 1956, it offers a nursing degree with enriching experience that sets students on the path to success in the dynamic healthcare field. For students seeking to pursue their higher education in nursing with professional development opportunities, the university offers tailored programmes that cater to academic and career aspirations. The University of Edinburgh is committed to nurturing a global community of nurses equipped to address the evolving healthcare needs of both local and international populations.
Faculty members are dedicated to providing comprehensive support and mentorship, ensuring that students receive the guidance needed to excel in their studies and make a meaningful impact in the nursing field. The Global Nursing Initiative provides a platform for students to engage with challenges and contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Master’s Course: MSc Advanced Nursing
- Entry Requirements: Students must have achieved 60% or more /GPA of 8 on a 10-point scale in their Bachelor's study and English language requirements through a test like IELTS.
- International Fee: £34,800 (₹36.28 Lakhs)
5. University of Nottingham
The University of Nottingham is the second most targeted university by top employers in the UK and has been in the top 10 since 2013 (The Graduate Market, High Fliers Research). The nursing course at the University of Nottingham offers students a pathway to excellence in nursing practice and career advancement. As part of the prestigious Russell Group, the University of Nottingham is renowned globally for its academic excellence. Specifically, the School of Health Sciences ranks fifth in the UK for research power in nursing and midwifery, ensuring students receive advanced education grounded in real-world nursing practice.
One of the key advantages of studying at the University of Nottingham is the promising career prospects upon graduation. Recent surveys indicate that most graduates have advanced in their careers, securing senior nursing roles such as nurse consultant, clinical nurse specialist, nurse practitioner, practice development nurse, and lecturer-practitioner. It demonstrates the high employability and professional growth opportunities offered by the program.
- Master’s Course: MSc/PG Dip Advanced Nursing
- Entry Requirements: Students must have a Bachelor's degree in the related field and English language requirements through a test like IELTS.
- International Fee: £27,650 (approx) (₹28.82 Lakhs)