Radiography, a fundamental medical imaging technique, is pivotal in diagnosing and treating health conditions. Using X-rays, radiographers create precise internal body images, aiding doctors in identifying injuries, diseases, and abnormalities. This non-invasive approach facilitates accurate medical decisions and treatment plans. Radiographers use specialised equipment to prioritise patient safety and comfort while capturing high-quality images, enhancing healthcare outcomes.
In the UK, radiography courses offer comprehensive training to aspiring professionals. These programmes encompass radiation principles, anatomy, patient care, and advanced imaging technologies. Through hands-on experience in clinical placements, students acquire essential skills and knowledge, preparing them for success in this dynamic field. Graduates of radiography courses in the UK contribute significantly to modern healthcare, promoting early detection and effective management of medical conditions, thus playing a crucial role in enhancing overall patient well-being.
Top 10 UK Universities to Study Radiography
Below is the list of the top ten UK universities to study radiology, according to the Guardian University Guide 2024.
City, University of London is known for its commitment to excellence in healthcare education and offers two distinguished courses in the field: BSc (Hons) Radiography (Diagnostic Imaging) and BSc (Hons) Radiography (Radiotherapy & Oncology). The Diagnostic Imaging program equips students with a deep understanding of medical imaging techniques, preparing them for roles in diagnostic radiography. On the other hand, the Radiotherapy & Oncology program focuses on the specialized field of cancer treatment through radiotherapy, ensuring graduates are well-prepared to contribute to the fight against cancer.
- Suggested Course: BSc (Hons) radiography (diagnostic imaging) and BSc (Hons) radiography (radiotherapy & oncology)
- Entry Requirements: A-level AAA, Visa requirements, IELTS: 7.5 overall with no less than 7.0 in any sub-test, TOEFL Internet-Based Test (iBT): Minimum score of 100/120
- International Fees: £20,700
The BSc (Hons) in Medical Imaging (Diagnostic Radiography) at Exeter equips you with skills for a successful career as a Diagnostic Radiographer, enabling eligibility for Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registration. This three-year, full-time program integrates theoretical knowledge and practical skills. Clinical placements across Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, and Somerset provide a comprehensive experience.
- Suggested Course: BSc Medical Imaging (Diagnostic Radiography)
- Entry Requirements: A levels: BBB IB: 30 BTEC: DDM
- International Fees: £29,700 per year
The University of Cumbria is the leading institution in the UK, particularly renowned for its exceptional radiography courses. The university has established itself as a premier destination for aspiring radiographers. The BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography program, offered by the university, is a standout course that combines theoretical knowledge with practical clinical experience, preparing students for successful careers in medical imaging. The university's commitment to providing advanced facilities and a supportive learning environment enhances the overall educational experience. Additionally, the University of Cumbria offers diverse courses, further solidifying its reputation as a top choice for those pursuing excellence in radiography.
- Suggested Course: BSc (Hons) diagnostic radiography
- Entry Requirements: A-level AAA, IB 128 points from a maximum of 4 Higher subjects, IELTS- 7.0 with 6.5 minimum in each area
- International Fees: £13,575
The University of Portsmouth in the UK is known for its advanced educational studies, particularly renowned for its excellence in radiography, with a spotlight on the BSc (Hons) in Diagnostic Radiography and Medical Imaging. The program equips students with the essential skills and knowledge needed to excel in the dynamic and crucial field of medical imaging. The university prides itself on an advanced curriculum, combining theoretical insights with practical experience, fostering a well-rounded education. The faculty comprises seasoned professionals and experts, ensuring students receive top-tier guidance and mentorship. The advanced technology further enhances the learning experience. The University of Portsmouth is preferred for those seeking a robust education in diagnostic radiography and medical imaging within the UK.
- Suggested Course: BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography and Medical Imaging
- Entry Requirements: UCAS points - 112-120 points from 3 A levels, IB: 29, IELTS band 7.0 with no component score below 6.5
- International Fees: £17,900 per year
De Montfort University Leicester stands out as a top-ranking institution in the UK, particularly renowned for its exceptional BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography program. The university has earned a distinguished reputation for its commitment to excellence in healthcare education, specifically radiography. The BSc course offered at De Montfort University is characterized by the advanced curriculum, modern facilities, and expert faculty, ensuring that students receive comprehensive and practical training in diagnostic radiography. The university's emphasis on practical skills development and theoretical knowledge prepares graduates to excel in the dynamic and demanding healthcare industry.
- Suggested Course: Diagnostic Radiography BSc (Hons)
- Entry Requirements: A-Levels, proficiency in English, Standardized language tests such as IELTS or TOEFL
- International Fees: £17,900 (approx)
The University of Plymouth in the UK stands out as a leading institution for radiography education, particularly excelling in its BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography with Foundation Ultrasonography and BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography courses. The university has highly skilled professionals in the field and provides a comprehensive and advanced curriculum that integrates theoretical knowledge with practical experience. The University of Plymouth fosters a dynamic learning environment supported by experienced faculty and modern facilities, making it an optimal choice for individuals aspiring to pursue a successful career in radiography.
- Suggested Course: BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography
- Entry Requirements: IELTS- 7.0 or above with no element below 6.5, IB score of 5 in English B, TOEFL- 94, GCSE or IGCSE grade A in English Language
- International Fees: £16,300
This three-year, full-time Diagnostic Radiography and Imaging (BSc) at Cardiff, accredited by the Health and Care Professions Council and Society and College of Radiographers, develops transferable skills applicable to NHS and international settings. Graduates become proactive, adaptable diagnostic radiographers, providing comprehensive care and interpreting images for diverse patient populations.
- Suggested Course: Diagnostic Radiography and Imaging (BSc)
- Entry Requirements: A level BBB-BBC. Must include grade B in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Psychology. International Baccalaureate 31-30 overall or 665-655 in 3 HL subjects.
The BSc Hons Diagnostic Radiography & Imaging at Ulster offers a comprehensive three-year undergraduate education for aspiring diagnostic radiographers. Successful graduates become eligible for HCPC registration as "radiographers" or "diagnostic radiographers." Endorsed by the Society and College of Radiographers, the course includes full-time study and eight-week clinical placements each summer, enhancing practical skills and ensuring eligibility for Society of Radiographers membership.
- Suggested Course: Diagnostic Radiography & Imaging - BSc (Hons)
- Entry Requirements: A level: Grades BBB to include a grade B from one of the following: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, CCEA Single Award Life & Health Sciences.
- International Fees: £15,840
The University of Leeds offers a comprehensive diagnostic radiography course, blending science, technology, and patient care for a rewarding career in medical imaging. This program equips you with diverse techniques to create high-quality images crucial for patient diagnosis and treatment, utilising cutting-edge technology like digital imaging, CT, MRI, ultrasound, and AI.
With a strong clinical focus, you'll experience a 50:50 academic and clinical split, gaining ample hands-on experience in various clinical settings. The course boasts a remarkable 95% graduate employment rate, often within the same region. The university's top UK ranking in medical technology, early clinical exposure, optional international placements, research projects, and a dedicated team of experienced radiographers ensure a well-rounded education.
- Suggested Course: Diagnostic Radiography BSc
- Entry Requirements: A-level: ABB including a science subject (Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths or Applied Science). International Baccalaureate: 34 points.
- International Fees: £27,500
The Diagnostic Radiography MDRad at Robert Gordon University provides comprehensive knowledge, clinical practice, and interprofessional learning, laying a solid foundation for a healthcare career and emphasising patient-centered care hones clinical and soft skills like communication and teamwork. Diverse practice placements occupy 50% of the course, offering hands-on experience in various radiography roles. Each year builds on the last, covering applied radiographic anatomy, pathology, technology application, self-appraisal, evidence-based practice, advanced roles, and research.
- Suggested Course: Diagnostic Radiography MDRad
- Entry Requirements: GCE A Level: BCC to include two from Biology/Human Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics. IB Diploma: 27 to include Higher Level English.
- International Fees: £15,860
Study Radiography in the UK
Which institute is best for radiology?
There are several reputable institutions for radiology in the UK, including the University of Leeds, the University of Liverpool, and Keele University, but City, University of London is currently ranked 1st in the Guardian University Guide.
Which country is best for radiology?
The UK is considered a leading radiology education and practice country, offering high-quality programmes and advanced medical facilities.
What major is radiology best in?
Radiology is a specialised field within medical imaging. A major in radiography or diagnostic radiography is most suitable for pursuing a career in radiology.
Which radiology course has the highest salary?
Radiology salaries vary based on location, experience, and specialisation. Generally, specialised roles like Interventional Radiology or Nuclear Medicine can increase salaries.
Which stream is best for radiology?
Radiology is a specialised field within medical imaging. Pursuing a degree in radiography, diagnostic radiography, or a related field is the best path to enter radiology.
What can you do after a radiography degree?
After obtaining a radiography degree, you can work as a Diagnostic Radiographer, producing and interpreting medical images. With experience and further education, you can specialise in areas like MRI, CT, Ultrasound, or Nuclear Medicine. You can also pursue advanced roles in management, research, teaching, or even medical equipment sales.