Big data analytics collects large and diverse unstructured data sets generated continuously by companies, users and devices to extract relevant information to help organisations make more informed business decisions.
Prominent data analysts generate insights and patterns embedded in data assets into language the business can understand, focusing clearly on performance trends and operational information. They address challenges and opportunities to apply predictive analytics to solve business issues, helping organisations harness their data and use it for cost reduction, faster and better decision making and making new products to meet customers’ needs.
Data analysts are in high demand in the UK and worldwide today. This field is excellent for IT professionals and others to specialise in and enhance their prospects. UK universities offer some of the world's best postgraduate data science and analytics programmes to choose from.
10 Great Big Data Analytics Degrees in the UK
Designed for technically minded graduates, the University of Warwick’s data analytics programme will train you in the technical skills needed to help you reach your potential in the field. Warwick’s Department of Computer Science is ranked 4th in the UK (REF 2021) and aims to enhance and revolutionise science and technology.
- Course in focus: Data Analytics (MSc)
- Entry requirements: First Class Honours degree or a high 2:1 undergraduate degree.
- International fees: £33,340
The data science programme at one of the UK’s top institutes, the London School of Economics, provides training in data science methods with an emphasis on statistics. With a well-balanced emphasis on theory and practice, students will understand the subject thoroughly and be able to apply advanced data analysis methods to investigate real world problems.
- Course in focus: MSc Data Science
- Entry requirements: Upper second-class honours (2:1) degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline, including a substantial amount of mathematics.
- International fees: £36,168
Imperial College London offers an excellent programme in data science, which focuses on both data science and theoretical and applied statistics. You will study machine learning theory, data transformation and representation, data visualisation and how to use analytic software.
- Course in focus: MSc Statistics (Data Science)
- Entry requirements: 2:1 in statistics, mathematics, engineering, physics or computer science.
- International fees: £34,350
The data science programme at Scotland’s elite University of Edinburgh focuses on informatics research, finding patterns and making data predictions. You will study topics such as machine learning, statistics and optimisation and databases and data management in the School of Informatics.
- Course in focus: Data Science MSc
- Entry requirements: A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in informatics, artificial intelligence, cognitive science, etc.
- International fees: £40,900
A master's in data analytics at the famous University of Liverpool focuses on developing students’ analytical, organisational and leadership skills. It will teach you how to apply the accurate analysis and insights of big data to improve efficiencies across all business functions and the skills to transform business through proper decision-making and planning.
- Course in focus: Business Analytics and Big Data MSc
- Entry requirements: Normally, a Physics, Mathematics, Computing, Engineering, Management or related disciplines at 2:1 standard from a UK university or an equivalent academic qualification from a similar non-UK institution is required.
- International fees: £28,500
The flexible master's course offered by London’s leading university, City, University of London, will help you develop the skills and knowledge needed to analyse data in many forms and effectively communicate insights and inferences.
- Course in focus: Data Science MSc
- Entry requirements: A UK first or upper-second-class honours degree (or equivalent) in a related subject area.
- International fees: £22,940
The innovative data science programme offered at the University of Manchester allows graduate from various disciplines to develop skills in data science. Drawing on five different disciplines prepares them for interdisciplinary teamwork.
- Course in focus: MSc Data Science (Business and Management)
- Entry requirements: High 2:1 honours degree (or overseas equivalent).
- International fees: £32,000
The University of Southampton’s one-year data science degree helps build core areas of expertise, such as devising and applying sophisticated big data analytics techniques and operating high-performance computing clusters and cloud-based infrastructures.
- Course in focus: Data Science (MSc)
- Entry requirements: An upper 2:1 degree (with a mark of 65% or above) in computer science or a closely related subject.
- International fees: £32,300
The data science programme at Birmingham City University provides students with in-depth knowledge of the field of big data analytics from a computing perspective.
- Course in focus: MSc Big Data Analytics
- Entry requirements: A 2:2 honours degree, or equivalent, in Computing or a computing-related subject with a substantial programming element.
- International fees: £16,870
In London Metropolitan University’s data science programme, you will be introduced to subjects including data mining, statistical modelling, business intelligence and data visualisation.
- Course in focus: Data Analytics MSc
- Entry requirements: A 2:2 UK degree (or equivalent) in a computing or mathematics-based discipline.
- International fees: £18,150
Required Skills of a Big Data Analyst
- Analytical skills: Analysing a large amount of data, such as facts, figures and numbers, to find conclusions
- Communication skills: Presenting their findings into understandable documents
- Critical thinking: Deriving conclusions on trends and numbers
- Math skills: Estimation of numerical data
- Attention to detail: Vigilance in analysis for correct conclusions
Study Big Data Analytics in the UK
Is the UK good for data analytics?
The UK is considered a favourable destination for Data Analytics. It houses reputable universities, cutting-edge research facilities, and a thriving industry that provides opportunities for students and professionals.
Why should I consider studying big data analytics at a university in the UK?
Studying big data analytics in the UK offers access to world-class education, renowned faculty, and exposure to diverse industries. UK universities often have strong ties with businesses, providing practical experience and networking opportunities. The country’s multicultural environment enhances global perspectives.
How can I get a full scholarship to study big data analytics in the UK?
To secure a full scholarship for big data analytics courses in the UK, you should research scholarship programmes offered by universities, governmental organisations, and private institutions. Check eligibility criteria, application processes, and deadlines. You can enhance your chances with strong academic performance, relevant experience, and a compelling personal statement.
Are there opportunities for internships or co-op experiences related to big data analytics?
The UK offers a range of opportunities for internships and co-op experiences in big data analytics. Many universities have strong industry connections, facilitating placements. Additionally, the UK's vibrant tech and business sectors provide a conducive environment for gaining practical experience.
Which branch of mechanical engineering is the most demanded in the UK?
Renewable energy, automotive engineering, and mechatronics are among the UK's most sought-after mechanical engineering branches.