Cyber security plays a vital role in the current digital age by protecting computer systems from digital threats such as thefts and damage of hardware, software and electronic data. Cyber security students learn skills such as Big Data Hadoop, Cisco-Networking, Ethical Hacking and Digital Marketing to be able to work efficiently in multiple firms.
In the modern era, businesses urgently need strategies to protect their data and customer information from growing cyber security threats, reportedly the most common fraud today. Cyber-attacks are aimed at intelligence gathering, and data breaches are potential outcomes of such attacks. Data breaches involve information from documents and financial information to identity theft, including confidential employee and customer information, to name a few.
Cyber security courses in the UK are available both for your master's and a bachelor's degree. Learn more below and apply today.
Types of Cyber Security Degrees
Available options for pursuing a bachelor’s degree in cyber security in the UK:
- BSc Cyber Security: University of Warwick
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Security: Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security and Computer Forensics: Kingston University London
- BSc in Cyber Security: Leeds Beckett University
- BSc in Computer Security and Forensics: University of Greenwich
Available options for pursuing a master’s degree in cyber security in the UK:
- MSc Information Security: University College London
- MSc Cyber Security: University of Birmingham
- MSc Cyber Security: University of Southampton
- MSc Cyber Security: University of York
- MSc Cyber Security: Lancaster University
Cyber security degree cost
Studying in any of these universities can give you a great start in your career. The cost of pursuing a cyber security course in the UK depends from university to university. On average, it is going to cost you around £30,000. However, a graduate or postgraduate cyber security student can earn over £65,000 annually. This means that your investment in educating yourself will bore great results.
Various government- or university-specific scholarships are available for the best of international students. Some of these scholarships are partially funded, and some are fully funded. You even get your monthly allowance if you clear the screening process for any of these scholarships.
Some of the best scholarships that accept applications from Indian students are:
- GREAT Scholarships
- Chevening Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships
Many universities also have amazing scholarships to offer Indian students. For more information, you can contact our overseas study consultants for reliable guidance that properly aligns with your goals of studying in the UK.
Five quick tricks to deal with cyber security threats
Wondering how you might assist companies once you have graduated from a UK university?
- Provide Digital Safety Education: Establishing basic security practices and policies and ensuring adherence is essential. Policy guidelines should be defined for strong passwords (10 characters long, including upper and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols), appropriate internet usage guidelines and handling of confidential company and vital customer data.
- Passwords and Authentication: All corporate network users must have unique passwords that are changed every 3 months. Wi-Fi networks should be secure, encrypted and hidden.
- Protect Information: Efficient dealing with online threats, like defence against viruses and other online threats, is mandatory. Antivirus software should be run after each major update.
- Provide Firewall Security for Internet Connections: Free firewall software should be installed, especially for remote employees or those working from home.
- Backup Information on Regular Basis: Critical data such as enterprise applications data, documents and spreadsheets, and financial and HR files must be backed up weekly - copies of the same must be stored offline.
After studying for a graduate or postgraduate degree in cyber security, students are well prepared to apply what they learn efficiently. With the right cyber-security measures and their disciplined adoption, the impact of a cyber-attack can be significantly minimised.
Why study in the UK?
There are many benefits of studying in the UK, and considering the importance of cyber security in today’s world, it is ideal to choose only the best. Some of the top benefits are:
- No language barrier for international students
- Prestigious and world-renowned universities
- The short duration of courses and degrees
- Internship and training options are available
- Cost-effective studies as compared to other leading education cities