Are you an Indian student considering where to pursue your higher education? University College London (UCL) is a standout choice for Indian students, an experience filled with top-notch education, cultural diversity, and innovative research.
UCL consistently ranks among the world's top institutions, emphasising a commitment to advanced discoveries and advancements. The university is ranked 9th in the world according to the QS World University Rankings 2024 and holds prestigious positions within the UK for its research power and academic reputation. THE rankings commend UCL's excellence with a 22nd position in the World University Rankings 2024, alongside notable placements in the Impact Rankings 2022 and World Reputation Rankings 2022.
These rankings underscore UCL's commitment to academic excellence and its appeal as a top destination for students seeking world-class education and research opportunities. Learn more about studying at UCL as an Indian student below and begin your UK study journey by arranging a free consultation with SI-UK India today.
Why Choose University College London?
University College London is a prime choice for Indian students seeking a world-class education abroad. UCL is 'London's Global University', a title that speaks volumes about its diverse and inclusive ethos. UCL has always been a preferred destination for Indian students, with a history of collaboration with India dating back to the 1800s.
Over 900 Indian students are enrolled in various degree programs, contributing to the vibrant international community that makes up 48% of the student body. The melting pot of cultures represents over 150 countries, offering a unique global perspective and networking opportunities that are hard to find elsewhere. The university's prestigious alumni roster includes iconic figures like Mahatma Gandhi and Rabindranath Tagore, exemplifying its historical ties with India.
Choice and flexibility are at the core of UCL's academic offerings. Students can choose from over 400 specialist bachelor’s programs, 500 master’s programs, and many PhDs and doctoral degrees. Each program is designed to challenge conventional thinking and encourage students to explore their passions.
UCL's stellar employer reputation score of 97.9 in the QS World University Rankings 2024 is a testament to its commitment to ensuring its graduates are highly sought after.
Types of Degrees at UCL
UCL's undergraduate degrees, including BA, BSc, BEng, and LLB, offer students the foundational knowledge and skills necessary for their chosen field. Students can select their degrees according to their interests, whether in the arts, sciences, engineering, or law. Students can choose from Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BSc), Bachelor of Engineering (BEng), and Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- Duration: Typically 3-4 years
- Entry Requirements: Students must have high academic achievement in 12th grade (such as CBSE, ICSE, or state boards) with specific subject prerequisites for certain courses. UCL also accepts international qualifications like the International Baccalaureate (IB) or A-levels and English proficiency tests like IELTS or TOEFL.
- International Fee: £22,000 per year (₹23.09 Lakhs)
- Postgraduate Taught
For those looking to deepen their expertise or pivot career paths, UCL’s postgraduate taught degrees, such as MSc, MA, MEng, and LLM, provide an advanced level of study in specific areas. Students can choose from Master of Science (MSc), Master of Arts (MA), Master of Engineering (MEng), and Master of Laws (LLM). These degrees are ideal for students aiming to enhance their professional trajectory or engage in specialised academic research.
- Duration: 1-2 years
- Entry Requirements: Students must have a good-standing bachelor’s degree, minimum second-class upper division, or international equivalent. Some programs may require work experience, specific undergraduate courses, and evidence of English proficiency tests like IELTS or TOEFL.
- International Fees: £23,000 per year (₹24.14 Lakhs)
- Postgraduate Research
UCL's postgraduate research degrees, including PhDs and Doctorates, are designed for those seeking original research and pursuing academic careers or high-level research roles. It is suited for students driven by a passion for discovery and innovation, allowing them to work closely with leading experts to push the boundaries of knowledge in their field.
- Duration: 3-4 years for full-time study
- Entry Requirements: A master’s degree in a relevant field, though some departments accept students directly from an undergraduate degree with exceptional academic records. Proposals for research and references are typically required.
- International Fee: £24,000 (₹25.19 Lakhs)
UCL Indian Student Societies
The UCL Indian Society is dedicated to making your university experience unforgettable, with a calendar packed with events that cater to all tastes. Whether you're looking to immerse yourself in the vibrant beats of Bollywood, show off your sports skills, or simply find a community that feels like family, the Indian Society has something for everyone.
- Flagship events and activities
- Dhamaal: The highlight of the society's social calendar, Dhamaal is London's most significant and consistently sold-out Bollywood club night. It's a night where the beats of Bollywood take over, letting you dance the night away in the company of friends.
- Jashn: Celebrating Republic Day in style, Jashn is a luxurious dinner and dance ball. It's an elegant celebration and community evening, marking an important day in Indian history with great pomp and show.
Joining the Indian Society means more than just attending events; it's about becoming part of a supportive and diverse community. It's where lifelong friendships are formed, mentors are found, and a vast network of support, including career advice and university guidance, is at your fingertips.
- Membership perks
UCL Indian Society unlocks a treasure trove of perks for a mere £5 membership fee. Members enjoy exclusive access to thrilling clubbing events, cozy movie nights, competitive sports tournaments, and enriching workshops on dance and music. Additionally, they benefit from discounted tickets to society events and collaborations, fostering a vibrant community spirit and endless networking opportunities.
Student Life at UCL
Indian students will be in a thriving, supportive, and incredibly diverse community. The UCL Indian Society is pivotal in making everyone feel at home. Nestled in London’s Knowledge Quarter, the UCL Bloomsbury campus is an epicentre of academic and cultural exchange. Surrounded by institutions like Google, the British Museum, and the Wellcome Trust, students are in the perfect environment to foster creativity, collaboration, and innovation. It allows engaging with the latest technology, arts, and sciences.
Popular Subjects at UCL
University College London offers diverse programs across multiple campuses, providing students ample opportunities to pursue their academic interests. UCL ensures Indian students access to excellent amenities, diverse cultural experiences, and various study options. Some of the popular subjects at UCL include:
- Computer Science
- Economics and Finance
- Architecture and Urban Planning
- Arts and Humanities
- Biological Sciences
- Social Sciences
UCL Indian Student Scholarships
UCL is launching its first-ever Summer School in India, providing pre-university students with insights into studying at a top UK university. The Summer School, held at The British School in New Delhi, features interdisciplinary modules from UCL professors. This initiative not only strengthens UCL's ties with India but also offers invaluable experiences and resources to Indian students.
By providing financial assistance and firsthand exposure to UCL's academic excellence and research opportunities, these initiatives empower Indian students to contribute to global solutions and enhance their prospects. Moreover, the scholarships and Summer School underscore UCL's commitment to fostering international collaboration and creating a diverse and inclusive learning environment. Here are some scholarship opportunities for Indian students at UCL:
UCL India Excellence Scholarships
- What UCL says: “The UCL India Excellence Scholarship aims to enable and encourage Indian students with an outstanding academic record to pursue full-time Master's degree studies at UCL.”
- Value: £5,000
- Available to: Prospective postgraduate taught students
UCL Commonwealth Shared Scholarships
- What UCL says: “UCL proudly supports the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship programme, fostering global leaders by offering transformative educational opportunities to those who aspire to drive development in their home countries.”
- Value: Scholarships cover tuition, airfare, and maintenance.
- Available to: Various Master’s programmes
The Felix Scholarship
- What UCL says: “UCL aims to offer underprivileged students from India the opportunity to further their postgraduate education by attending a UK university.”
- Value: £15,000 to £17,000 per year
- Available to: Postgraduate study programs
Study at UCL
If you are an Indian student considering UCL as your preferred UK study destination, contact SI-UK India for a free consultation today.