In an increasingly globalised world, the demand for talented translators is on the rise. Translation is a form of linguistics and is a far more nuanced skill than many give it credit for. A skilled translator can dissect the sound, grammar and meaning of different languages with ease, providing a valuable skill set to many different types of company and client.
Translation courses in the UK can be studied at undergraduate and postgraduate level and almost all courses are accredited by the Chartered Institute of Linguists. Upon successful completion of a translation programme, which can often be part of a larger Linguistics degree, students will be ready to work for national and international governments, large or small corporations, and once experienced, freelance.
Are you interested in studying a linguistics or translation degree in the UK? If so, learn more about some of the best universities in the UK to study linguistics below and arrange a free consultation at SI-UK London today to begin your application.
Five of the Best Translation Courses in the UK
University of East Anglia
- Course to consider: BA Translation and Interpreting with Modern Languages
- What UEA say: “You’ll study your chosen languages to degree level, at the same time as choosing from a range of specialist modules in culture, society, translation and media. You’ll spend your third year in two countries where your chosen languages are spoken. This time overseas is the highlight of many students’ university experience.”
London Metropolitan University
- Course to consider: Translation BA (Hons)
- What they say: “We'll equip you with the transferable professional skills required in the translation industry and give you an in-depth knowledge of translation theories, methods and procedures. Translate multimedia texts such as advertisements, comic strips, songs and films, as well as documents from specialist areas including finance, law, IT and medicine.”
- Course to consider: Modern Languages, Translation and Interpreting BA (Hons)
- What they say: “Explore modern languages (two languages – French, German, Italian, Mandarin-Chinese and Spanish) and the concept of translation and interpreting, translation theory, computer-assisted translation, translation project, terminology management and Interpreting for business, health or law.
University of Leicester
- Course to consider: Modern Languages with Translation BA (Hons)
- What they say: “This Modern Languages with Translation BA gives you the opportunity to develop your foreign language skills and insight into foreign cultures while giving you the skills and understanding you need for a promising career in translation and interpretation.”
University of Hull
- Course to consider: Modern Languages with Translation Studies (with one language)
- What they say: “Gain sought-after translation skills along with an in-depth understanding of Chinese, French, German, Italian or Spanish. And let's not forget you'll spend a year in your focus country.”
Study Translation in the UK
If you want to study a translation degree in the UK, at undergraduate or postgraduate level, arrange a free consultation at SI-UK London or Manchester today.