The results of the first ever Teaching Excellence Framework were announced in 2017, with a number of surprises thrown up by the gold, silver and bronze rating system.
Introduced by the UK government as a way to measure teaching quality based on factors such as student satisfaction, student retention rates and graduate employment levels, the gold rating was awarded to a variety of UK universities both young and old throughout the UK. The Teaching Excellence Framework is expected to play a huge part in the future of how UK universities are ranked, with teaching quality and student satisfaction given more focus.
Learn more about five gold rated UK universities below. If you want to apply or learn more about studying in the UK, contact SI-UK in London or Manchester todau for a free consultation.
Five Gold Rated UK Universities
- Aston fact: Aston University is consistently placed in the UK's top 30 for Graduate Prospects
- What they had to say: “This is a very welcome endorsement of what students, employers, schools and colleges already know – that Aston is excellent for teaching, excellent for student experience, and excellent for job prospects after graduation.” - Professor Alec Cameron, Vice Chancellor.
- Bangor fact: Bangor University is in the top 15 in the UK for student satisfaction
- What they had to say: “Bangor has maintained a strong commitment to the delivery of high quality student experience for many decades. Not only do we link research and teaching, but we also provide personalised pastoral care, and provide variety and experimentation in our teaching and learning.” - Vice-Chancellor, Professor John G. Hughes.
University of Birmingham
- Birmingham fact: Ranked 84th in this year’s QS World University Rankings, cementing the University Birmingham's position as a global top 100 university
- What they had to say: "Our graduates are among the most highly sought after in the world, which is testament to the quality of our teaching and extracurricular provision.” - Vice-Chancellor, Professor Sir David Eastwood.
- Coventry fact: Coventry University is the UK’s best modern university
- What they had to say: “This result validates the hard work and support of our exceptional staff, proving that outstanding student experience and teaching leads to great graduate job opportunities.” - Vice-Chancellor Professor John Latham.
De Montfort University
- De Montfort fact: More than 170 courses are professionally accredited at De Montfort University, boosting students’ employability
- What they had to say: “I couldn’t be more proud of our colleagues and students in achieving Gold TEF ranking. Around 30% of universities have achieved this – and it places DMU in a new university hierarchy.” - Professor Dominic Shellard, Vice-Chancellor of DMU.
Study in the UK
Are you interested in applying to study at a gold rated UK university? If so, arrange a free consultation in London or Manchester today.