At our Language Centre we find many students, including advanced level students, make the same mistake of adding unnecessary prepositions after certain verbs.
If you want to avoid making the same errors, try the short test below before checking the answers below the image. Remember, if you need to improve your English ahead of studying in the UK, IELTS lessons in London and Manchester can help you improve quickly with no registration fees and all your materials provided!
Test your Preposition Skill
Question: Which sentence(s) is(are) correct? Correct the wrong sentence(s).
- He considers applying for UK universities.
- I need to discuss about scholarship options.
- The teacher mentions about study tips for IELTS writing.
- A hurricane is approaching to the Ireland.
- I resemble my brother.
- Ms Morrison attends to the conference.
- We oppose to him in the discussion.
Answer: 1 and 5 are correct; but the rest are all wrong.
2. I need to discuss scholarship options.
3. The teacher mentions study tips for IELTS writing.
4. A hurricane is approaching the Ireland.
6. Ms Morrison attends the conference.
7. We oppose him in the discussion.
To avoid making these mistakes, do not remember the direct translation of word (e.g. discutir = discuss / discutere = discuss). Alternatively, learn how to use the word in a sentence.
- Tip: Reading books and newspapers in English and listening to news also help to avoid making this mistake.
Study IELTS in London or Manchester
Want to improve your reading, writing, speaking and listening? IELTS lessons at SI-UK are cheap, flexible and allow you to improve quickly under the guidance of our experienced teaching team.